Tuesday, October 19, 2010

'80s Heartthrob Rick Springfield Reveals "Sexual Issues" in New Tell-All

'80s Heartthrob Rick Springfield Reveals "Sexual Issues" in New Tell-All

The 1980s seemed like a very good time to be Rick Springfield. In his early 30s, the handsome star had a hot music career and was cast as hunky Dr. Noah Drake on the soap General Hospital. It looked like his personal life was also thriving, but Springfield now admits he was struggling with depression.

"I had a huge house, money, a beautiful wife, kids, touring the world – and realizing that that wasn’t doing it," Springfield told Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush in a new candid interview. "And I realized it hadn’t fixed me."

In his new memoir, Late, Late at Night, Springfield opens up about how battling depression since he was a teen and dealing with his voracious appetite for sex shaped his life.

"Is it an over-exaggeration to say that you had an issue with sex addiction?” Bush asked the singer.

"I wouldn’t say that’s an over-exaggeration. I’d say it’s a part of my life and sex addiction is… I don’t use that word in the book because it’s not to me, it’s just my sexual issue," Springfield explained. "I wasn’t addicted to sex, as I was to the… it was a habit that I fell into as a young musician. It didn’t become an issue until I finally found somebody that I didn’t want to lose because of it."

Referring to his wife of 25 years, Barbara, Springfield admits that their marriage almost ended on numerous occasions.

"I’ve come very close to losing her a couple times and the truth is, we both know that we’re better together than we are apart," he said. "So, we have fought the times that I have fallen off the wagon — nuked the wagon."

Springfield revealed that his last indiscretion was in 2002, and Bush asked the music man how his wife feels about him sharing it all in the new book.

"Really uncomfortable," Springfield said. "(But) I’m a writer and she married a guy who writes about his life. All my songs are about most of my hits are about her. Honestly. Starting with 'Don’t Talk to Strangers.' A lot of my best songs have come from the dark side of me."

"Will you stray again, do you think?" Bush asked.

"God, I hope not. I hope not," Springfield said. "But you know, it’s like anything -- it’s not a given."

Do you think Rick Springfield will cheat again? Chime in below!

Sophia Bush Stacy Keibler Summer Altice Summer Glau Sunny Mabrey

No comments:

Post a Comment