Sunday, October 24, 2010

Celebs Love The School Kids: Keri Hilson, Shaq, Rick Ross, & More

It's been a busy week for some of the YBF celebs who have been in various spots around the country inspiring the kids in their own ways.  See what Keri Hilson, Big Boi, Shaq and Rick Ross have been up to inside.....

 

 

Big Boi and Keri Hilson surprised 1000 high school students on Thursday in Chicago, Illinois.  Joining MTV News correspondent Tim Kash, the trio spoke to the elated students as part of the Get Schooled National Challenge and Tour.  The purpose of the tour is to engage students and encourage them to improve their high school graduation rates, with the goal of increasing college completion rates.

Big Boy told the kiddies:

"Before I started doing music, I was actually going to school to study child psychology, but, when I was in 11th grade, we went platinum," Big Boi revealed. "But I still finished and graduated with honors…you need that."

 

 

Talking about her own experience, Keri said,

"I juggled a lot in high school.  I had to learn balance...I had to learn to prioritize my time. I think that is the key to making it through high school in life in general, is knowing what's important, attacking that and executing everything." 

Keri added that she was also co-captain of her high school basketball team, in addition to participating in theater.

Great message for the kids.  I hope that went over well.

 

 

And over in Boston at Harvard University, NBA Baller Shaquille O'neal made a strong and solid appearance as a statue on the campus.  He sent a simple tweet to his followers about posing in Harvard Square, and when he arrived, he stuck a post as a "sitting man" for nearly an hour.  Fans posed for pictures, rubbed his head, blew kisses and tried to make the Shaq laugh.  He had promised the stunt two weeks ago on Boston sports radio station WBZ-FM.  

Yesterday Shaq tweeted at 2:15 p.m., “On my way to Harvard Square. Statue time.”

And because Shaq is one of the most recognizable people in the world, the crowd soon swelled to hundreds. By 3 p.m., Shaq was done.  He later said, “I can now tell everybody I went to Harvard.”   

 

And last but not least, Chrisette Michele and Rick Ross rocked out for Morehouse and Spelman's homecoming week.

And it looks like Miss Michele sang her heart out.  She performed "I'm A Star" from her next album Let Freedom Reign out Nov. 30.


 

The Teflon Don came through as well to drop some urban knowledge on the students.

I hope the entertainment provided translates into higher grades for all the students.  Good to see celebs pushing for education. 

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Megan Ewing Megan Fox Melania Trump Melissa George

No comments:

Post a Comment